In 1224 the Tarbatu settlement was captured by German crusaders, who named it Dorpat. The community developed into a center of commerce and in 1280 joined the Hanseatic League. An observatory was established there in 1811. Reverting to the name Tartu in 1917, the community is now the second largest city in Estonia.
Avastatud: 25-4-1998 Avastamiskoht: La Silla Avastajad: Elst, E. W.